Comparing different trinkets has never been more difficult, with the Warforging system offering each trinket up at multiple different ilvls. To make analysis easier, trinket procs will be compared at 370 ilvl (Uldir Heroic, Mythic+10) with exceptions specifically noted. Trinket value differs depending on the specific encounter you’re progressing on so keep a set of high ilvl trinkets where possible. A lot of the trinkets available right now are different variations of stat sticks, all of which are similar enough in strength that you can go with your highest ilvl option.
Trinkets are considered at equal ilvls. Trinkets that are no longer relevant outside of mega titanforges have been removed from the list but are still available in QE Live.
- The Top
ThreeFour: Fang of Intertwined Essence, Alchemist Stone, Ward of Envelopment, Incandescent Sliver
- A Tier: Sinister Gladiators Insignia, Lion’s Grace / Doom’s Hatred, Mirror of Entwined Fate, Sea Giant’s Tidestone, Conch of Dark Whispers, Moonstone of Zin Azshari, Ignition Mage’s Fuse, Sinister Gladiator’s Medallion, Crest of Pa’ku
- B Tier: Drust-Runed Icicle, Twitching Tentacle of Xalzaix
- C Tier: Revitalizing Voodoo Totem, Lady Waycrest’s Music Box, Darkmoon Deck: Tides (355)
- D Tier: Ancient Knot of Wisdom, Balefire Branch, Leveling trinkets
- “What were they thinking” Tier (Trinket Edition): Memento of Tyrande
- The Top
- The Top Three: Ignition Mage’s Fuse, Mirror of Entwined Fate, Sinister Gladiator’s Insignia
- A Tier: Ward of Envelopment, Incandescent Sliver, Moonstone of Zin Azshari, Drust-Runed Icicle, Lion’s Grace / Doom’s Hatred, Conch of Dark Whispers, Sinister Gladiator’s Medallion, Sea Giant’s Tidestone, Crest of Pa’ku, Alchemist Stone
- B Tier: Revitalizing Voodoo Totem, Lady Waycrest’s Music Box
- C Tier: Ancient Knot of Wisdom, Balefire Branch, Twitching Tentacle of Xalzaix
- D Tier: Fang of Intertwined Essence, Leveling trinkets
- “What were they thinking” Tier (Trinket Edition): Memento of Tyrande
I have X trinkets at Y item levels. How do I know which are best?
QE Live is an online app that’ll tell you which of your trinkets or Azerite Pieces are best. It has full support for sockets, tertiary stats and more.
The Stat Sticks
BFA is very heavy on different types of stat sticks and they’re all similar in strength. We generally prefer sticks with intellect main stat (like the Conch of Dark Whispers) over secondary stats (like Twitching Tentacle). They’re mostly worth the same amount of average stats over a fight but intellect trinkets have more of their strength allocated to static, consistent power which is desirable as a healer.
Stat sticks can otherwise be categorised as either on-use trinkets or random procs. On-use trinkets provide fewer stats but make up for it in power since they can be used at the same time as a big Flourish or damage window. All of these trinkets are close enough in strength that you can always take the higher ilvl of the two outside of a few weak outliers like Balefire Branch.
Random Proc Stat Sticks
- Conch of Dark Whispers has a 25% uptime and provides an average of 172 crit.
- Twitching Tentacle of Xalzaix has a 24% uptime and provides an average of 270 intellect.
- Drust-Runed Icicle has a 40% uptime and provides an average of 291 intellect.
- Lion’s Grace has a 42% uptime and provides an average of 187 versatility.
- Dread Gladiator’s Insignia has a 50% uptime and provides an average of 321 intellect which is overbudget and makes it a very strong trinket. It previously only procced off damage but has been fixed and now procs off healing.
On-use Stat Sticks
- Ignition Mage’s Fuse has about a 17% uptime and provides an average of 138 haste. While the proc is active you’ll average 828 over the 20 second period.
- Balefire Branch has about a 22% uptime and provides an average of 178 intellect if you aren’t hit by anything. This is heavily underbudget and near-useless in any situation where you’re taking damage while it’s active.
- Ancient Knot of Wisdom has about a 33% uptime and provides an average of 176 intellect (at its base ilvl of 385). This is underbudget but doesn’t have the same downsides as Balefire Branch. Decent in Mythic+, not so much in raid.
- T’zane’s Barkspines has about an 11% uptime and provides an average of 138 crit.
- Azurethos’ Singed Plume has about a 17% uptime and provides an average of 134 crit.
- Dread Gladiator’s Medallion has about a 17% uptime and provides an average of 138 vers.
Static Stat Sticks
- Leyshock’s Grand Compilation (350 ilvl) isn’t technically a static stat stick but it behaves very similarly to one, with most of your stacks sitting on high uptimes. Every spell is assigned a secondary stat and when you cast it you’ll gain a stack of that secondary stat. Assuming you keep three different stacks of the buff active for the entire fight the trinket offers about 162 total secondary stats. That’s actually really strong but the trinket is a world drop so coming across a compilation at a competitive item level is unlikely.
The Healing Procs
Healing Proc trinkets generally compete very well with stat sticks in heroic or low mythic raids and then start to fall behind as your HPS continues to rise. They give a fixed stream of healing since, overhealing aside, they don’t scale at all with the incoming damage. That is, you can expect a Music Box for example to heal for about 14,500 per minute in both LFR Taloc and Mythic Azshara with only small variances due to overhealing. This doesn’t make them bad choices – they’re often quite strong – but it should be taken into account when selecting your trinket.
- Darkmoon Desk: Tides (355 ilvl) adds up to 21,000 healing and 500 mana per minute. You’ll usually get a little less than advertised because the trinkets healing bounces between allies and it only has a 20 yard range so you can waste a little bit of its potential. Tides looks like a mana trinket and those who experienced Darkmoon Desk: Promises in Legion might expect similar results. Contrarily, most of the trinkets strength is actually in its healing proc, with the small mana boost an added bonus. It’s best in slot for its item level, but falls off when compared to higher ilvl alternatives.
- Lady Waycrest’s Music Box adds about 14,500 healing per minute (when you include crits, extra procs from haste and added healing from versatility). Adding the set ring doesn’t make a noticeable impact to its healing contribution but it gives it an extra boost in Mythic+ where your damage can be much more important.
While 90% of the expansions trinkets will likely fall into the above two categories there are always a few that are outside the box.
- Fangs of Intertwined Essence returns about 3282 mana per minute. This is equal to about half a Blessing of Wisdom and improves your natural mana regen by about 7%. Maximise the number of usages you get by using a weak aura to remind you or by macroing it into an ability.
- Memento of Tyrande (Black Temple Timewalking) procs 2.5 times per minute for a total of 1675 mana. This is really really bad. Don’t even shard it. You don’t want to keep any memory of this trinket in your bag.
- Emblazoned Alchemist Stone is a hybrid trinket, offering both a stat proc (that averages 271 intellect) and a bonus to mana potions which is worth about 10,000 mana per fight if you use a Potion of Replenishment.
- Revitalising Voodoo Totem offers a stacking single target HoT on demand. It doesn’t interact with our mastery in any way. The on-use heals for around 34,000 HP total for a per-minute average of nearly 23,000. This is a reasonable amount but it’s delivered in a clunky way since the HoT ramps up slowly (making it a poor emergency tool) and you give up stronger raid healing to equip it. If it’s the best you’ve got then aim to use it on cooldown on a tank or debuffed player.
- Inoculating Extract is like an incredibly clunky version of the Voodoo totem. Fortunately HoT applications will proc the Mutating Antibody stacks despite not being direct heals but you’ll still want to avoid this one where possible. It’s worth ~31,177 healing if you can use up all the charges for a per-minute average of almost 21,000.