The Battle for Azeroth talent revamp has made little difference to the best picks for raid. Wild Charge fills the role of the newly deceased Displacer Beast and Inner Peace rises to the top of the level 90 row.
The Nuts and Bolts
When to deviate from the core build
Abundance vs Cenarion Ward
Consider Abundance if you need efficient single target healing. After the 8.0 changes it’s a very competitive talent since the mana cost reduction greatly improves the HPM of Regrowth. Points in favor of taking Abundance include:
- Your raid comp is a little wonky and you lack other strong single target healing options.
- The fight consists of spiky burst damage that needs immediate triage.
If you go Abundance then aim to keep 5+ rejuvs out on the raid before you start chaining regrowths. Not sure what to pick? Go Cenarion Ward. It’s a stronger default choice. Consider a Weak Aura to ensure a high uptime.
Prosperity still isn’t viable at this time though it’s slightly stronger than in Legion.
Wild Charge vs Tiger Dash
Wild Charge is more generally useful but Tiger Dash is much easier to use. Consider it when you’re new to the spec or encounter. Tiger dash (which replaces your regular Dash) can also be a better pick when getting out of the raid with something is more time critical than getting back in. Don’t take Renewal. Not even as a joke.
Cultivation vs Incarnation: Tree of Life
Tree of Life is the new reigning champion. It was already pushing for a spot as the #1 talent on the row and the pre-patch is likely to nerf content to the point where your raiders rarely drop below 60% health. Once BFA launches and you level to 120 you’ll drop to ~10-12% mastery and Cultivation is likely to fall off the map.
Inner Peace vs Spring Blossoms
- You need Tranquility to cover specific boss abilities which are three minutes or more apart anyway (Mythic Aggramar for example).
- The raid is stacked for enough of the fight that no Spring Blossoms hots go to waste (you want to aim for 6-9+ people in your Efflorescence whenever the incoming damage is relevant).
- You’re not the type of person to forget to drop Efflorescence (seriously, consider a Weak Aura).
- You are not running Autumn Leaves.
Flourish vs Germination vs Photosynthesis
Flourish is an easy default choice in raid since it’s a powerful cooldown and you often need more of those. Photosynthesis is much more competitive after its recent buff and should stack up well HPS-wise if a fight is unable to give you good Flourish usage (too few places to cooldown, awkward damage timing). We’ll likely know more after some proper live testing. Germination is still a great pick in Mythic+.
Talents sorted? Let’s check out some stats.