Resto Druid Shadowlands FAQ
Note: This was a preview article, but has been updated for the current patch. Some references will still read as originally written, but information is accurate.
It’s time. The Shadowlands are here. Grab your 34 slot bag, delete the last corrupted items from your inventory, pick a levelling spec and join us. The following FAQ will focus on quick, accurate answers. There’s more depth to a lot of these questions, and more paths you can take if you aren’t looking to min max. If you’re set on Necrolord, or think Theotar is your soulbind no matter what then the tools will still have full support for you but this article will mostly focus on what is optimal. If you’re returning to the game or spec I’d suggest starting with the 9.0 FAQ which covers the changes we received in the prepatch.
Night Fae is a dominant covenant choice for Resto Druid. The gap for us is larger than any other healing spec and you’re looking at a 3-4% throughput loss if you pick Venthyr instead. More for Necrolord or Kyrian.
Dreamweaver is currently shaping up to be our strongest Soulbind tree owing mostly to the strength of Empowered Chrysalis, which is on a row of the tree that doesn’t usually get big throughput increases. Soulbinds are still being heavily iterated on and our pick here could easily change by the time Mythic raids launch. Stay tuned. QE Live also has a full covenants module that’ll tell you how much throughput to expect from your choices. It will go live with the expansion.
There is a full, up to date Conduits guide here. QE Live also has a full Conduit section. The quick version:
The other potency conduits are not viable at this time and in some cases are comparable to not wearing a potency at all.
You have a lot of flexibility here but Front of the Pack is an easy, effective raid choice.
There is a full guide to legendaries here. For raid you’ll be crafting Vision of Unending Growth first, known as the “Rejuv Spreader”. The pattern drops from Torghast and you should have it very early on in the expansion. Don’t stress if you’re not ready to craft your legendary in the first 2 weeks. The better play is going to be to wait until you get the right pattern, and for any late tuning to conclude.
If you’re more interested in Mythic+ than raid then Verdant Infusion has become a dominant choice following buffs in 9.0.5. For pure damage you might also consider Circle of Life and Death, but you’re usually better off grabbing the healing focused legendary first.
If you both raid and Mythic+ then I’d recommend Verdant Infusion first, and then Vision of Unending Growth second. Verdant Infusion will perform acceptably in raid, whereas Vision is near unusable in Mythic+ so it makes sense to craft in that order.
We’re still collecting information on trinkets so this section could change but the current top tier appears to be
- The Unbound Changeling bug was fixed and it’s now very solid.
- Darkmoon Deck: Repose is a very solid buy for your pre-raid set. It’s a high item level and is very competitive even against 200 ilvl trinkets. You will likely replace it with mythic raid trinkets, or very high item level dungeon trinkets from the Great Vault. The price for the deck is dropping quickly and you should be able to pick one up for 10-20k on most servers by the end of the week.
- Both PVP trinkets are very good, but you’re likely to get better value out of the Insignia of Alacrity unless you’re excellent at combining your cooldowns with the Badge.
The Stats Question
Item Level is much more important than it was at the end of BFA and in most cases you will wear your highest item level gear outside of trinkets. Individual items can be compared in Questionably Epic Live. As a very very general stat priority you should look at something like
ItemLevel > Haste > Crit = Vers = Mastery
ItemLevel > Mastery = Haste > Crit = Vers
Once you’re comfortable with the dungeons you’ll drop mastery for more offensive stats. You can comfortably gem for Haste since no intellect gems are available.
- What food buff do I want? In raid you’ll use the new Feast option, while solo you might consider using Tenebrous Crown Roast Aspic instead. They’re incredibly similar in value.
- What are weapon oils? Weapon oils are like a temporary enchant that you add to your weapon. They aren’t particularly strong so don’t feel like you need them for your heroic dungeon clears but when you do you’ll use Embalmer’s Oil for healing and Shadowcore Oil for damage.
- Which flask do I use? Spectral Flask of Power.
- What about enchants?
- Chest: +30 to all stats. The mana option isn’t competitive at this time.
- Wrists: +15 Intellect.
- Cape: +20 Stam & +30 Leech.
- Rings: +16 haste, or your highest stat weight.
- Weapon: Celestial Guidance (Intellect proc).
- Which spec should I level as? Resto is the slowest levelling spec. Guardian, Feral and Balance are all similar in speed if you have a preference.
- Which professions should I be? Professions aren’t particularly important to individual player power in Shadowlands. Alchemy is very good for extended flask duration but you have a lot of flexibility here.
- Which slot should I craft my legendary in? Some slots give more stats than others. Use the list below as your priority order.
- Helm, Chest, Pants
- Shoulders, Gloves, Boots, Belt
- Rings, Neck
- Cape, Bracers